Friday, February 17, 2006

Freestyle Week #5

I’ve struggled this week with relationships. I’ve struggled with writing and I’ve struggled with physics. I am passionate about all three. I suppose that part of my struggle is the love/hate thing. I’ve managed to come to terms with the writing and the physics. I’ve accepted that I’m going to suck at both for as long as I do. It is not, however a permanent condition. What we love should test us- Constantly. What we love should let us down and force us to grow. We should come back to it a little more humble and changed. That’s the nature of growth.

Nikki used to tell me that every time we catch a glimpse of ourselves, our true unshared, unadorned, naked selves, we are presented with “opportunities for growth”. That’s become my mantra these days. All of the inconsistencies that I’ve seen and felt in my methods with relationships and writing and physics offer me an opportunity to grow.

Don’t think I don’t know how “Dr. Phil” this sounds. Truth is truth. Edie’s cereal box or Einstein’s theories – truth is truth. This is truth. I’ll decide what I can and can’t honorably defend in myself. I’ll take some of those opportunities and leave others for another day. It offers some sense of control, however in situations that feel chaotic to think in terms of opportunity. Sometimes it can even turn chance into choice.

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

I could not disagree more with Dr Phil and you--if trials and troubles are blessings sent to make us grow stronger and wiser, as I often hear, then we would be a race of giants. Pain makes most of us fearful, small, cranky, angry, loud--we grow backwards and become infantile. If it's different for you, you are unusual.

As a piece of writing though, this is fine, though a few examples, one for each area mentioned would be needed if this were going to be a longer piece.

Fri Feb 17, 06:42:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home