Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Introduction # 2: Classification Essay

Writing has always been more than a hobby or a desire for me. Writing is like breathing. I’ve kept a journal since I was very young. The entries are reflections, guideposts and landmarks along my journey. I’ve gone back through my journals every time I feel that I’m on the verge of making the same mistake, or to remind myself that a feeling can pass as quickly as it comes. I go back through my journals sometimes just to mark my progress through this life. Since I’ve returned to school I find that my writing now fills three very distinct and separate places in my life. There’s the writing that I do for school; the creative lists that I keep and sometimes, though not very often there is still the writing that I do for me.

3 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

Matter of taste or style, maybe, but I find both of these intros too low-key for mine.

Putting it a different way--nearly anyone who keeps a journal could have written these two intro grafs; they're competent but relatively anonymous. So do they do justice to AEC? To her love of writing? Or do they fall squarely in that first category where I wish to heaven they would not?

Wed Mar 01, 03:10:00 PM  
Blogger millay said...

Well, I was sorta saving the guts of it for the guts of it and just trying to introduce the three categories without going into the rest of it. When I did more, it sounded like it should be two or three paragraphs.

I'll rework and see if I can find the happy ground.

Wed Mar 01, 03:44:00 PM  
Blogger johngoldfine said...

It's not the guts that are needed--it's a bit of an overture introducing the essayist and her world in some way that surprises and delights.

Wed Mar 01, 04:29:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home