Sunday, May 07, 2006

Prompt Week 14: The Buck Stops Here...

I put my I-search back up after snowflakes comment and an email that I received from another student asking for a link from the original post. I’ve decided that I’ll include this disclaimer and give the school an opportunity to open a discussion. I think snowflake is right: the students have a right to know that they are not alone with their concerns and that things can be done.

As for me, I got an acceptance letter from the University of Maine into the physics department for the fall. I have already been contacted about the importance of meeting with my advisor to talk about the courses that I need to obtain my ultimate goal of getting my doctorate in physics. We’ve already discussed the time span and particular programs that might be available. They’ve made certain that I’ve applied for all of the financial assistance (including scholarships) that I may be eligible to receive. I have to say, I’m quite impressed.

Seems to me that is how one is meant to begin their college career. It’s an exciting time filled with a lot of nervousness, trepidation and uncertainty. We’re putting our futures into the hands of people that we assume are looking out for our interests and are knowledgeable in their fields. Unfortunately, that isn’t what I feel EMCC has offered during my time here and I’m one of those verbal beasts. I can’t imagine how the more timid must feel.

What I have to say to the school is that the buck stops with you. Each person that meets with a student, prospective or enrolled, has a responsibility to that student to make sure that they’re where they need to be, taking the courses that they need and on a path that is right for their choices. It isn’t enough to take the buck, you have to take the responsibility.

It isn’t our responsibility to make sure that you’re doing your jobs. We don’t come into these doors knowing what pitfalls may be in store for us. We pay you to help us avoid them. We pay a tuition that includes not only instruction in our courses but also your ability to point us in the right direction.

In my research on the MCCS website I saw that there is to be a tuition increase. (http://www.mccs.me.edu/press/pr/042606.html) I hope that the additional monies will be used in ways that will enhance the student experience and not in that grey, non-committal sort of way that I’ve seen so prevalent . Will it be used for additional transferable courses taught by faculty that isn’t all adjunct? Will you invest in additional administrative training relative to the courses of study that you offer to make certain that students are where they need to be?

The buck stops here – with you. Eventually you’ll be held accountable for the choices that you make with regard to the spending of that buck.

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

Reading this makes me feel guilty, as if I needed yet another thing to feel guilty about--for being such a half-assed advisor. All I can say is that it's a job I hate (unlike teaching) and it's a job I never applied for. From my point of view, it demands a lot of expertise in areas I know nothing about, it plays to my weakness which is organization and precision, and since it only comes up with advisees twice a year, it's a job I have to keep relearning to even do the minimum.

So I frippin hate it, which is no excuse for taking the money and passing the buck. But there it is.

One time a student actually did come to me for advise (not just knowledge about courses, credits, aid, etc which properly belongs with someone else.) He wanted to know about different schools and what courses might be like and stuff I actually had some ideas and feeling for. But it was only the once.

LIke so much else, the school wants to do it on the cheap, using faculty who could advise for 90 hours a week without adding a cent of cost to the budget. Liberal studies students have a great number of needs, expectations, plans, and the school needs a fulltime expert to serve them in all their variety. One of the many things not addressed in advance by the Important People.

Sun May 07, 02:44:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home