Monday, January 16, 2006

Freestyle Week #1

The house is so dark. It's so rarely like this anymore. The only light comes from the computer monitor and the candle that is ever flickering in whatever room I happen to be occupying. What to do with this time is my only thought. It's minutes, only minutes before the bustle of evening rushes through the door bringing stories of adventures out there and the flurry of activity that always preceeds the return to work and school. Clothes have to be laid out. Homework checked and baths. But for now, this time belongs to me and now to you as well.

Another semester begins. In between the "housekeeping" comes the rush of excitement. One step closer. My very first official physics class. Assignments for writing. (don't tell Mr. Goldfine but I'd do this whether I was paying for it or not).

I like the way that school feels on me. I like the look in my eyes revealing a larger purpose...a deeper meaning.

I was talking with someone this weekend who is going into his last semester before graduation. He couldn't wait for it to be over and to begin his "real life". Having lived that "real life" for much of my 42 years I smiled at the thought of being in his position years from now. Walking up to receive my doctorate and beginning a career in something that I've been passionately drawn to for so long I wonder if I will feel the same. What point will bring that feeling of "oh I just can't wait for this to be over"? Will it be in the middle of my last physics class? Will it come wrapped and mired in the 5th math course that I have to take? At what point will I be glad that this is over?

Here comes the bustle. No time left to think about it. Barely time to end this before it sweeps over me pushing out my thoughts and connecting to theirs.

Thanks for the freestyle. It's nice to have the outlet and have it be required.

Until the next moment...

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

I like the back-and-forth between externals and internals, between mind and matter; the way the house is the objective correlative for your musing. And I like the extensive speculation you already feel you know the answer to.

Mon Jan 16, 09:52:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home