Monday, January 16, 2006

Prompt Reaction Week #1

A long intake of breath…

Time to get to it. Always so much that needs to be done and so little time for the doing. Long gone are the days of casual surrender to whatever mood struck my fancy. Days of turning pages and absentmindedly watching the fire’s flames have been replaced by need, theirs, not mine. Time was a cigarette and cups of coffee were enough to make a morning stroll into the afternoon. These days’ mornings last the few moments while the coffee perks before the kids and the man get up from their beds. I treasure those moments of quiet and fill them with soft thoughts and gentle ease.

I’ve thought a lot recently about days of yesteryear. I remember well sitting for hours with my friends by a fire or at the beach. Books were gathered between us, our talk was of things bigger and “more important”. I remember being able to close my eyes in the middle of the day for a nice long nap or just turning off the noise and letting my thoughts flutter about as they would. Peace these days comes only in the shower or in the brief span in the car between home and Doug’s.

A long intake of breath. A quick smile at my own luck in having a life so full now that a nap feels like a gift. Time to get to it. Supper needs to be cooked while the pink of sunset plays on the light dusting of snow outside my window. What luck. Here come the boys with their shouts and laughter to fill the quiet left in the wake of my long intake of breath.

1 Comments:

Blogger johngoldfine said...

I like the last graf very particularly--that's a stand-alone piece of writing. The rest is chock full of grand bits, but... the items could slip and slide around and make grafs just as good, and that's a structural issue.

Mon Jan 16, 09:47:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home